Powered By Blogger

Thursday 21 July 2011

ART on the Tip of a Pencil

Carpenter by profession Dalton Ghetti, decided that he needed a challenge 25 years ago,and has been sculpting miniature masterpieces on the tips on pencils ever since. The 49 year old stated, “At school I would carve a friend’s name into the wood of a pencil and then give it to them as a present. Later, when I got into sculpture, I would make these huge pieces from things like wood, but decided I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make things as small as possible. I experimented sculpting with different materials, such as chalk, but one day I had an eureka moment and decided to carve into the graphite of a pencil.” 




He uses three basic tools – a razor blade, a sewing needle and a sculpting knife.He refuses to use a magnifying glass. Amazingly none of his pieces are for sale, he only gives some away as presents for friends o__O






 The Brazilian born carpenter, says The longest he has spent on one piece was two and half years: a pencil with interlinking chains. A standard figure will take several months.  “The interlinking chains took the most effort and I was really pleased with it because it’s so intricate people think it must be two pencils.”











No comments:

Post a Comment